Monday, July 21, 2008

3 months later...

Almost three months have passed since my last post and so much has happened since then but almost nothing related to training or racing.

So what have I been up to?

1. Sold our old house in Santa Clara and bought a new house in Sunnyvale about 7 miles away but closer to the hills.

2. Took a new job at the same company with lots more responsibility.

3. My wife and I had a baby (our second).

Any one of those events might put a slight dent in a training schedule and maybe impact a race or two but all three have sent me skidding sideways. I would swim for the surface if I could remember which direction it was.

This Sunday, however, I found the surface! I even took a breath.

The day didn't start out as promising as it ended. In the morning my wife reminded me we were going to take my eldest daughter and my in-laws to Stern Grove in San Francisco to see modern ballet.

My first instinct was to escape all-together and I tried by claiming I had too many chores around the new house to possibly get away. That didn't work, not even close. I ruefully thought to myself that time sitting around in Stern Grove could be spent running along Ocean Beach and I had it! Why not run while my family was happily eating a picnic lunch and watching the show?

I drove the family to Stern Grove, dropped them off, parked, and then hauled the rest of the picnic paraphernalia down the hill to their spot. I quickly turned right around and headed out on a gorgeous run from 33rd down Vincente to the Great Highway, up the bike path to the Beach Chalet, across the street and up past the Cliff House, a loop around the hill and back - 10 miles total. It was heaven. That's my longest run since May and I felt great. Not fast, but great nonetheless.

4 comments:

Scott Dunlap said...

New job, new house, new baby...is that all? Here I thought you had a real excuse for slacking on your blogging!

I hope all is going well. Looking forward to seeing you on the trails soon, and perhaps meeting your newest family member!

SD

Unknown said...

Welcome back, Thomas! And congratulations on the new addition to your family and the new house!

Nice to read that all's going well and so happy that you got out for a few miles.

We miss you, and hope to see you soon.

Sarah (PCTR)

CoyoteGirl said...

Hi Thomas!

Congrats on the new baby. :) Havng two girls is awesome, really.

Take your time getting back into running. And make time with the family. Glad to see that you got some fun quality miles in!

Tanya

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.