Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Six word memoir

I've seen it happen to other bloggers but I never thought it could happen to me. Was I naive to think I was immune? Did I think I could avoid it forever? I've been tagged courtesy of Trail Blog Patriarch Scott D.



Before I get started I'd like to request Scott to postpone business travel, time with family, eating and sleeping until he publishes his Diablo 50 race report. Donald has already published his report and he acheived a zen state after 12 hours of perseverance. Considering that Scott is as close in demeanor to Buddha as anyone that skinny can be, he might have acheived nirvana during the race and vanished from this plane altogether.



Wendell did record a finishing time for Scott so I assume he is still with us and we patiently await his report...



On to my memoir. Rules are below.



1) Write your own six word memoir

2) Post it on your blog and include a visual illustration if you want

3) Link to the person that tagged you in your post, and to the original post if possible so we can track it as it travels across the blogosphere

4) Tag at least five more blogs with links

5) Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play!



One step forward, two steps up


I chose these six words as an illustration of both how I run and how I like to think I live my life. Climbing a hill in early morning mist to suddenly come around a corner and be blinded by sunlight rippling across a sea of fog is as close to transcendence as I'm likely to get. Climbing to new levels in other areas of my life is not as straightforward as acheivement in sport but something to aspire to nonetheless.


I am reminded of Robert Frost's poem, The Road Not Taken. I wonder if Mr. Frost had ventured West into the Rocky Mountains or farther on to the Sierra Nevada or the Cascade Range would his perspective have been altered. Would his metaphor of the choices in his life have shifted from the left and the right fork in the road to the path up the mountain and the path down the mountain.


My time spent in the mountains, among the jagged peaks and glittering glaciers changed my perspective from horizontal to vertical.






Tagging Jon, Sean & CS. I'll have to think about who else to tag...

3 comments:

Donald said...

It's a great memoir! Suits you well.

Thanks for the link. I took a picture of Scott, so I know he was out there. His report will be awesome, I'm sure.

willgotthardt said...

Good stuff Thomas...see you Saturday. Looking forward to your first impression with my backyard mountain (Mission Peak).

Will G.

JL said...

Hey TC, love that your tag led to my husband waxing eloquent... I love it! I hope the move went well, you guys -- I will call you after my recital this weekend. Wish me luck!